West Hills Neighborhood Council
Four traffic deaths intensify safety concerns in West HillsPosted on 01/11/17
West Hills endured four traffic fatalities within its boundaries between Oct. 24 and Nov. 13, intensifying longstanding concerns about traffic safety in the community.
To get a better understanding of the problem, the West Hills Neighborhood Council’s Streets & Transportation Committee compiled the following list of vehicle and pedestrian fatalities within West Hills’ boundaries since 2013 (in reverse chronological order):
- Jan. 3, 2017: William White-Green, Valley Circle Boulevard north of Roscoe Boulevard
- Nov. 13, 2016: Angel Arroya and Erik Garcia, Vanowen Street at Platt Avenue
- Nov. 9, 2016: Alexandra Post, Vanowen Street and Berquist Avenue (also the scene of a fatal crash on Jan. 19, 2012 and a double-fatal crash on Dec. 4, 2002)
- Oct. 24, 2016: Eric Block, Sherman Way and Woodlake Avenue
- April 11, 2016: Pia Botz and her daughter, Erica Botz, and their dog, Roscoe Boulevard and Jason Avenue
- Sept. 24, 2015: “Ellie” Minami, Highlander Road at Darnoch Way
- July 31, 2015: Man struck and killed by a bus at Sherman Way and Shoup Avenue
- July 17, 2014: Woman bicyclist struck by a car on the sidewalk, corner of Sherman Way and Shoup Avenue
- April 13, 2013: Man killed at Sherman Way near Woodlake Avenue
The study notes that six persons lost their lives on West Hills’ streets since April 11, 2016, a threefold increase over 2015’s total of two deaths.
Three of the recent fatalities occurred on Vanowen Street between Platt Avenue and Berquist Avenue. At least four fatalities occurred since 2002 at or close to the intersection of Vanowen and Berquist.
In addition, two fatalities occurred at Sherman Way and Woodlake Avenue since 2013. Two fatalities happened at Sherman Way and Shoup Avenue since 2014.
Note: This list of fatalities within West Hills’ boundaries since 2013 may not be complete. Corrections and additions may be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com